News article response (NAR) essay
Select a newspaper news article (not an opinion piece) either from an online newspaper or from a hard copy newspaper that interests you AND that is socially relevant (attach the article to the back of your completed essay). After selecting and reading the news article write (type) a two-page essay answering the below six questions. These essays are due at the beginning of class (within the first five minutes) and will be subject to peer review. No late essays will be accepted. Note the headline of the article and the response piece number (E.g., No. 1 or 2) in the heading, and then attach the article behind the essay. I will not accept papers that aren’t stapled or in this specific order! (This assignment is worth a max. of
15 points. Approx. 2.5 points per question). See an example of this assignment below.
1. Main point: What is the main point or thesis of the article?
2. Clarity: Is the author clear (or is further explanation necessary)?
3. Depth: Do the author’s answers address the complexities in the questions at issue? Does the authors’ reasoning
lead to significant and far-reaching implications?
4. Breadth: Does the author approach the issues from the multiple [differing] viewpoints (where relevant) or is
his/her reasoning too narrow-minded? Are opposing viewpoints considered?
5. Give at least on specific example of a “fact” and one example of an “opinion.”
6. Other insightful comments: Basically, tell me your opinion on the issue. Don’t tell me your feelings about the
writer's presentation "style." Focus on what “is there” versus “what isn't.” Do not use words such as ‘sad’, ‘nice; ‘scared,’ or other similar emotional reactions in this section. Insightfulness is related to analysis not emotion!
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.