due in 12 hours
Below are the questions for your first major overview assignment. The readings, questions, and quizzes for this module will assist you understanding how and why the rise in the study of women entering jail/prison and as offenders in general is important to the study of crime and criminology.
As with all assignments for this and other courses, you are expected to write in full and complete sentences unless prompted to only list specific items for a response. You are also expected to proofread for spelling and grammatical errors before submission for ease of reading and comprehension. Lastly, you are expected to always write discussion responses in your own words, do not copy and paste from the articles.
The readings needed for this assignment are located in the readings section of the module.
- According to the Introductory chapter titled, "Women, Gender, and Crime," the terms sex and gender are different and should be treated as such. First, discuss how the two terms are different as they relate to women and prison. Second, do you agree or disagree with their description of the two terms? Discuss why or why not you agree or disagree and provide your own (add another besides the one given) example of how to describe the difference (or no difference) between the two terms.
- According to the same paper, why were the 1960’s and 1970’s so significant to women? More specifically, how did these two decades impact the study of women and crime?
- The significance of feminist criminology in and of itself as a field of criminology can not be ignored, because “without the rise of feminism,” we probably would not see scholars and government agencies concerned with what type of issues often related to women? List these issues/crimes?
- The same book chapter also highlights the role of women in the ASC. What is the ASC and what role did women play in changing the outlook of the organization as it pertained to women? In your discussion, make certain to list the top five topic areas that helped to shift the focus of some of the discussion on crime to that of women.
- According to the Sentencing Project’s overview of Women in the CJS(see women's pathway to crime in module), the growth of women under correctional supervision has increased dramatically. What are three (3) major issues highlighted by the authors as key influences to this rise in women in the CJS? List the three items and then briefly discuss if and how any of these items were also presented in the book chapter (Women, Gender, and Crime) as key influences to women being jailed and incarcerated.
- Now turning to the “women’s pathway to crime” article linked in the module. They begin by introducing some of the major research that links certain key life events to women’s being introduction to crime. List all of the items mentioned.
- For the author, Smith, she is most concerned with the actual timing of traumatic events and women’s intro to the criminal justice system. Therefore, please discuss her main hypothesis, her main independent variable (tell me what it is and how it is measured), and the role of this independent variable as it relates to one’s entrance into the criminal justice system.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.