Week 3 - Assignment 2
Cognitive and Language Development Milestones Picture Book
[WLO: 1] [CLO: 1]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment,
- Review Chapters 6, 7, and 9 of your text.
- Review the cognition and language development milestones from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on the web page Basic Information (Links to an external site.).
- Identify one age-group that you will discuss:
- Infancy: Birth to 12 months
- Toddler: 1 to 3 years
- Early childhood: 4 to 8 years
The purpose of this assignment is to creatively demonstrate an understanding of developmental milestones as they pertain to cognition and language development.
Based on the required resources above, create a children’s picture book using StoryJumper (Links to an external site.)that tells a story about a child’s typical day. Your story must incorporate at least four cognitive and four language development milestones for the age-group you have selected. Your story can be about a fictional child or can be based on a real child.Please review the StoryJumper tutorial (Links to an external site.), for assistance in using StoryJumper.
To complete this assignment, you must
- Create a children’s picture book using StoryJumper. (Links to an external site.)
- Identify at least four cognitive development milestones appropriate to the age-group selected.
- Distinguish at least four language development milestones appropriate to the age-group selected.
- Discuss a typical day appropriate to the age-group selected.
Berk, L. E. (2013). Child development (9th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
- Chapter 6: Cognitive Development: Piagetian, Core Knowledge, and Vygotskian Perspectives
- Chapter 7: Cognitive Development: An Information-Processing Perspective
- Chapter 9: Language Development
Oliva-Olson, C., Espinosa, L. M., Hayslip, W., & Magruder, E. S. (2018/2019). Many languages, one classroom. Teaching Young Children, 12(2), 4-7. Retrieved from https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs/yc
- The full-text version of this article is available through the ProQuest database in the Ashford University Library. This article provides information about effective strategies for teaching in classrooms with children who speak multiple languages and will assist you in your Dual-Language Dilemma assignment this week.
Virtual Lab School. (n.d.). Cognitive development: Infant block play (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from https://stream.virtuallabschool.org/cognitive/3545/3545-480.mp4
- This video shows infants playing with blocks and is required to
complete your Analyzing Children’s Cognitive Development discussion
Accessibility Statement does not exist.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018, February 22). Basic Information (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/childdevelopment/facts.html
- This website provides information about basic developmental
milestones for children, along with links to resources for
educators and parents. This will assist you in your Cognitive and
Language Development Milestones Picture Book assignment this week.
Accessibility Statement (Links to an external site.)
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.