This video mainly focuses on the U3 Unemployment Rate, but it also shows the influence of labor force participation on the U3 rate. While not specifically noting the U6 rate, it does refer to other rates that provide a more accurate picture, that is a reference to the U6 rate.
Note: The video has Closed Captioning. To activate it, start the video, mouse over the bottom of the video and click on the CC icon, then select from the menu.
This week we are going to look into the labor market in some
depth. We shall be examining unemployment as well as the labor
force participation rate.
This week you will examine the U3 unemployment rate (often called the Headline Rate because it is the one most often reported by the media) and the U6 unemployment rate (a more inclusive measure of unemployment) in detail. This activity will give you a deeper understanding of the different unemployment measures available to analyze what is occurring in the national labor market.
1) Watch the above video and videos 1 and 2 under the Week 3 YouTube video link;
2) Read the article in the textbook: "Why Has Employment Declined?" from Chapter 28, page 596-597 ( Week 3 article.pdf);
3) Go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics ( http://bls.gov) and find the current:
a) labor force participation rate
b) the U3 (Headline) unemployment rate, and,
c) the U6 unemployment rate;
4) What are the differences between the U3 and U6 unemployment rates? Note not only the unemployment rate percentages, but also who is counted in each of the two measures.
5) After examining the information and views found in the above activities, what factors are contributing to the current unemployment rate and the current labor participation rate? Support your view with data from the BLS, information from the readings and the videos and concepts from the textbook readings (chapters 28 - 31).
6) Post your views to the discussion board and refer to at least two different concepts from this weekâ€™s Chapters. Your illustration of concepts MUST include an explanation why you think they are relevant to the weekâ€™s topic using specific information from the articles, videos and other research that you have done.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU ADD SOMETHING NEW to the discussion.
7) Post on three different days for a minimum of three posts. Failure to meet these minimum posting requirements results in point loss.
Include a word count on each post. All of your posts should sum to a minimum of 500 words.
Each post submitted should be between 150 and 250 words. Keep them short, specific, and clear.
Use paragraphs as appropriate.
Very lengthy posts do not provide an incentive to be read.
Remember to document all use of sources by using citations and references. These should be in APA format.
Please review Plagiarism Powerpoints ( PLAGIARISM.ppt) and be sure to provide references ( APA.ppt), including URLs where appropriate, to all works that you cite.
Be sure to respond to comments or questions from your instructor. If you do not respond to the posts sent by your instructor, your grade will be significantly affected.
Now click on "Week 3 DISCUSSION Forum" text above to go to the discussion forum. You can start a new thread by clicking on the Create Thread button at the top. You can also respond to an existing post by clicking the Respond button at the bottom of the post.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.